Friday, December 7, 2012

Maasai Market



The Maasai market is one of the many attractions for first time visitors in Nairobi. During the week the market moves from one mall to the next so you have to know what day it will be in your area. In my case the best time is on Thursday afternoons. While I do not know the official time that the market starts, you can always listen for the drums or singing that are sure signs that the market is in full swing.

It can be a little overwhelming when you first step into the market and see all the different products the people are selling. Venders lay their goods out on tarps in front of them. I couldn’t tell you all the things that people are selling at the market.  But here are a few things you can buy: limestone carvings, wood carvings, cloth paintings, bowls, t-shirts, pants, dresses, sandals, statues, masks, sarongs, hats, bracelets, headbands, earrings, sunglasses, metal work, spears, in short there is lots of stuff.  The whole spectacle is full of color and people eagerly awaiting their first customer of the day!

If there is one thing that I have learned since I have been living here in Nairobi it is that if you are ever feeling alone or feel like you don’t have any friends, then its time to go to the Maasai Market. I kid you not, once you step into that place its like everyone wants to be your best friend for the day. It is not uncommon for people to come up to you, greet you, introduce themselves and lead you by the hand to where their merchandise is.

Although the market is a great place to buy your souvenirs and to find gifts for friends back home, the business of bargaining for a good price takes both skill and patience. If you know for a fact that you don’t possess good bargaining skills, make sure to bring along someone who does. You see many “muzungus” or foreigners walking around the Maasai market accompanied by a local tour guide or friend who can negotiate a fair price for them. If you are going alone, you know you don’t possess good bargaining skills, and you have brought a lot of money, I would say to just keep your hands in your pockets. Haha ok no. I don’t really mean that… just make sure you aren’t massively overpaying for your purchases. Like I said before with some patience and persistence you can get some good bargains.  
 
I won’t say it is impossible to “just be looking” and leave empty handed, however venders will make a strong case for you to buy something from them. The first time I went to the Maasai market I ended up not getting anything. However, this last Thursdays I bought this small stone-carved hippo from this guy named Moses. I am sure it won’t be the last thing I buy but for now I’ll save the bigger purchases for later.














No comments:

Post a Comment