Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Thanksgiving


I hope that everyone had a happy thanksgiving day this past Thursday. It was a great day for me, which meant getting off work, eating lots of great food, and talking with my family! What more can you ask for.

            The Kenya YAVs were invited to our site coordinators house for a Thanksgiving lunch at 1:30pm. After arriving at the office and working/helping construct a bookshelf, a group of us gather into a car to go have Thanksgiving. There were 11 of us gathered at Phyllis’s house. Phyllis prayed for the meal and spoke a few words about how thankful she was for having each one of us in her life. Her husband, Shelvis and Nancy and their newborn baby, 3 YAVs: Rob, Catherine, and me, Doc. Seed, Rev. Lubaale, and one of Phyllis’s good friends from Ghana.  

The food was amazing as usual. Anything Phyllis makes is great so we were all spoiled that day. We had turkey, baked sweet potatoes, macaroni and cheese, pork, spiced rice, grave, vegetables, salad, chocolate cake, carrot cake, apple pie, and ice cream. Totally ate too much of everything but it was so worth it. By the time we had finished the meal and started heading home, it was already 5:30pm. Everyone had a great time.

We arrived back at the office just in time for me to get online and skype with my family. We had agreed to skype at 6pm so that I could talk with my grandparents and extended family. Many of them had gathered at my grandparent’s house to share Thanksgiving together. It was nice to speak with all of them and share with them a little of my experiences here in Kenya. It was a nice ending to a great day! 

No comments:

Post a Comment